There is nothing quite so wonderful as light, fluffy marshmallows floating in a cup of fresh Home-Made Hot Chocolate! Not only are marshmallows super easy to make at home, they cost a fraction of buying them in the store. And the flavour just can’t be compared!
What You Need:
1 cup water, divided
3 Tablespoons gelatin
2 cups white sugar
2/3 cup white corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup corn starch
1/2 cup icing sugar
What You Do With the Stuff:
- Place 1/2 cup water and gelatin in bowl of mixer and allow to sit for 5 minutes to bloom.
- Place remaining 1/2 cup water, sugar, corn syrup and salt in a heavy bottomed pan. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally until sugar dissolves.
- Continue heating without stirring until temperature on a candy thermometer measures 240 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a 9 x 13 - inch pan with plastic wrap and oil lightly.
- Add hot liquid slowly to mixing bowl while beating on low. Once incorporated, beat on hight for 10-12 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla at end of 12 minutes.
- Spread mixture into prepared pan. Allow to set at room temperature for 2-4 hours.
- Mix together cornstarch and icing sugar. Dust work surface liberally with mixture. Turn out marshmallow and dust top as well.
- Cut into squares and toss in extra corn starch mixture.
- Store in a ziploc bag at room temperature.