Cake decorating can be intimidating, but it’s really simple with a few tricks.
1. Make sure your top of your cake is smooth.
2. Buy re-useable pastry bags. I think it’s a good investment to buy a kit with bags and tips. They usually come in a case for easy storage.
3. Use ready made frosting and tint it with food coloring.
4. Edge your cake with a border. The border tip or scallop is usually #21
5. Use a cookie cutter for a template. You can find cookie cutters in almost any shape and size for almost any occasion. That’s how the snowman above was made. I pressed the cookie cutter into the top of the frosted cake and then filled it in with colored frosting. This makes it easy for anyone to decorate a cake and have it look like a pro did it. Even kids will have fun filling in the design, it’s like coloring.
Follow these simple tips and turn a rainy or snowy day into a fun day in the kitchen.
Have a decorating tip? Have you created a masterpiece or maybe your children have? Feel free to share. I’m always looking for inspiration.