Guys? Â This is where you check out, okay? Â Come back tomorrow, for today, there will be more info than you ever wanted to know about what is in a hospital bag for the birth of your child. Â All you need to know is to make sure it makes it into the car on the big day. Â Ciao!
Okay, gals, still here? Â When I was expecting Poppet, THE best gift I received at my shower was a ready-made hospital bag. Â It was the most practical, one of the prettiest, and quite frankly, having one less thing to think about made it the BEST gift by far. Â I was planning a home birth, but things didn’t turn out the way I planned. Â I stayed home, but in the last 1 1/2 hours I was at the hospital where Poppet finally was born. Â Even if the expectant Mum is planning a home birth, there is nothing in this hospital bag that she couldn’t use at home as well. Â So here goes:
Buy a Beautiful Bag
I have a purse fetish. Â Some women like shoes, others clothing, but for me it is purses and bags all the way! Â My hospital bag is a beautiful yellow with colourful polka dots. Â It made me excited about going into labour, because I knew I couldn’t touch that bag until then! Â There it sat, taunting me for months. Â After Poppet was born I have used it numerous times for week-end getaways, and now it acts as her activity bag. Â I keep a store of fun things for her in it, and it now lives in the van. Â Anytime I end up away from home, I just have to grab this bag full of fun and excitement to put a smile on her little face! Â Next comes the fun part of filling the bag!
Things for Baby
- Receiving blanket
- Scratch mittens
- A couple of diapers
- Baby wipes
- Olive oil (great to use instead of diaper cream – also can be used during pushing stage of labour)
Things for Dad
- Change for the meter
- Blank phone list for those to contact after the birth
- Granola bar, crackers, and other non-scented snacks (hospitals won’t feed the dad, and mum won’t want to smell anything savoury!)
- Deck of cards
- Small notebook and pen for his thoughts
- ToiletryÂ kit with disposable razor, comb, travel size shaving cream, shampoo, deodorant, cream, mouthwash, toothbrush and toothpaste.
- Disposable camera (just in case)
Things for Mom
- Fuzzy Socks
- Crossword puzzle book
- Brush and comb
- Headband and hair elastic
- Full size journal notebook for her thoughts (I use mine to write Poppet letters since I didn’t use it during labour)
- Nursing Pads
- Maternity style maxi pads
- Nipple cream
- Inexpensive slippers with rubber soles
- Toiletry kit with travel size shampoo, conditioner, cream, body wash, mouthwash, toothbrush and toothpaste.
And anything else you think would be pampering or practical that will fit in your lovely bag! Â Trust me, it will be one of Mum-to-Be’sÂ favourite gifts too!
Receive our Newsletter!